Saturday, August 7, 2010

Launching Celeste

Friday marked a momentous occasion as our boat took to the water after 2.5 years of being dry-docked!
She's our little tugboat... a beauty on the water, isn't she?!

These two gentlemen have been working on the boat for the last little while. The one to the rear is a former helicopter pilot. He's our technician...hooking up or fixing up some of the electrical items. The skipper, well he is a mechanic, welder, avid fisherman and a good friend to Ian. And here's the deal: they are fixing up the boat in exchange for some time on the open sea and hopefully reeling in some marlin!

Here's my dad, taking the helm. The reason he is so relaxed is because the boat is travelling only about 6 knots an hour. That's not much for a 135 horsepower engine, but maybe understandable since it's not been used for years. Hopefully that will be sorted out by the crew. They didn't mind a slow but steady journey along the coastline of the beautiful Huon Gulf anyway.

One of the beaches where they threw down the anchor and enjoyed a nice swim. My dad was worried about the sharks...but thankfully nothing nipped his toes.

The kids and I met up with them in the afternoon and took a little tour just outside the yacht club. The wind had picked up by that time and it was a little choppy, so the little tour was enough for me and the kids! But still the ocean breeze felt good.
It was good and refreshing for Ian and the rest to be away from Lae for a few hours and out enjoying God's awesome creation in the vast skies and open sea. Rejuvenating.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Nad and Ian,

Great to see the pictures! Jon looks great in his home made lion suit! and congratulations with Caleb's 1st! Enjoy your last days with mom and dad! jonathan

Ruben Vlot said...

Wow! Sounds good! Can I come back? ;)
At the moment I'm in Abu Dhabi, waiting for my flight back to Holland. It is almost over... I stayed a few weeks in Oz, but I'm missing PNG already.

But of course looking forward to see my family, friends and relatives again.

Wish you all the best in Lae! I'll try to stay in touch with your blog when I'm back in Holland!

Warm regards!
Ruben

Aunt Irene said...

Happy birthday Caleb...hard to believe you are one already...and so nice that Grandma and grandpa could be there too!!! Did you get any cake on Grandma???
Great boat...so glad you can get away for a bit on the water...God is so good!!!
Scary lion...oh no it's Aslan..I'm not afraid anymore...well done!!!!
Love you all
Aunt Irene