Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Question for Fellow Bakers

I recently acquired a bread machine. A friend had two and decided to give one to me! A lovely, generous gift. It's been fun experimenting with different recipes for bread, rolls, cheese twists, and pizza dough, even some with spelt flour for Ian and me (since we are both wheat-intolerant). Our kids still enjoy their sandwiches at lunch, so for them I've been searching for a true wholemeal (or wholewheat, for the Canadians:)) bread recipe. Most of the recipes out there, even the one that came with the machine, call for half white flour. That's not wholemeal, is it??

So I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has found a good recipe that is 100% wholewheat, or at least as close as we can get?
**********************************************************************************
Thank you again to those who sent me recipes and tips. Through you all, I discovered that it is possible to have a moist, light loaf of bread that is 100% whole wheat!

And even more important, the kids like it!
(Apologies for the terrible picture quality
and my son's table manners, but you get the idea!!)

3 comments:

Alice Plug-Buist said...

Nadia,
I assumed better bakers than me would respond, but I guess they're all too busy baking. Unless they emailed you. For 100% whole wheat bread, I have these rules for myself: Don't make buns 100% ww/wm(has never worked for me, though Yukyung once made buns that were really good, but she just told me to buy the book, which I haven't found yet - I guess I could order it online - I think it's the Company's Coming Breadmachine book, the recipe is on the last page :-(); use good quality wholewheat flour (if you have a choice); use some gluten flour if possible; use a recipe that calls for eggs.
If you want a specific recipe, I'll email one to you.
Hope you guys are doing well!
Alice

carla said...

Those are beautiful loaves of bread Nad!No wonder the kids are gobbling them up.....

Dina said...

It seems like you can get different types of flour in Lae then. Good to know. I love baking my own bread!