Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hard to Understand


It was about a year ago that I first met this little sweetheart named Charlotte. She is the niece of a young woman who attends our church and is the fifth daughter born to her parents. As you can see, she is absolutely adorable and precious. Shortly after this photo was taken, I heard that she was sent to go live with some relatives in Port Moresby who wanted a baby. She would've only been about 5 months old--still very much needing her mother. This is just so hard for me to understand, especially since this family is not that poor and it doesn't seem like it would've been that hard for them to care for Charlotte as well. And what about the mother? What is it like to give a little one whom has grown inside of you, is so much a part of you, to someone else? I saw the mom shortly after Charlotte was given away and the tears sprang to her eyes quickly when I asked about the situation. It must've been so hard for her.

And yet it is a fairly common practice here for children to be given to relatives for various reasons. It's not a formal arrangement through the courts or anything like that. I'm not sure if any money or goods are exchanged but I have a feeling there is probably a transaction of some sort. Often children are given away to a husband and wife who can't have children of their own; usually by a family who has a lot of children and can't afford to care for them all. Or sometimes it's not the choice of the family at all. We knew of a family with three daughters and one son, and an uncle asked to have the son, and out of respect for him, the parents could not refuse him. So they were living here in Lae and their son 5 hours away in the village with his uncle. I wonder how this impacted that little boy. And I know it was hard on the parents. Often when twins are born, one of them is given away--sometimes this is because of superstition, but many times it's because they cannot care for them both. There are actually identical twins in the nearby settlement who are being raised in different families, but have not been told the truth about each other, even though they play together all the time! Unbelievable, isn't it? I don't understand why for the emotional well-being of the children these things are not openly talked about. As they get older, aren't they going to figure it out? Many times it seems parents choose to keep the secret and I remember from my studies in social work, these types of secrets are never a healthy thing for families and have a way of being revealed, even when the parents think the secret is being kept.

I really struggle to understand these situations and I know that I have to be careful not to judge.
There is so much we still don't know about this culture and so we can't possibly fully understand what all goes on when a child is given to another family. It is best for us not to get too involved in these kinds of situations.

Yet, I couldn't keep my mouth shut a few weeks ago after Bible Study. We were almost pulling out of the church when one of the women said, "Oh, can you just wait a bit? We have to wait for a baby." Ok, no problem, I said and figured that someone's neice or nephew or grandchild was coming to stay with them for a while. That's quite normal around here too. But then, a woman I didn't know arrived at the church with a toddler and an infant. And a few minutes later, the infant was in the car with us, and the mom and toddler were staying behind. I asked what was going on. Well, the baby was being given to a family in Biwat Settlement. I looked at the mother who had just given her baby away and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but her face was pretty expressionless. Underneath that expressionless face, what emotions were happening inside? Was her heart being ripped apart at giving her baby away? Was she angry at her situation? Frustrated? Ambivalent? Was she feeling some sort of resignation that this is the way things are and that's that? I will never know.

We drove on towards home and I asked which family in Biwat the baby was going to. I could not believe it when I was told that the baby was going to the family that had just given away little Charlotte last year! That's when I got a bit angry because I realized this baby was the one thing little Charlotte was not...a BOY. And after four daughters, that's what Charlotte's parents were hoping for, but the Lord chose to bless them with another daughter. And instead of cherishing that blessing they gave her away, and thought they knew better what their family should look like. It wasn't about not being able to afford a fifth child; it was about wanting a son, not...another...daughter. How can they have peace with that, I ask? I know that I may sound like I'm being terribly judgmental and hard on them. I admit I don't know everything about their situation, but I did ask the women driving in the car with me that day, "How about just letting God be God and letting Him decide what our families will be?" No one answered. And so we drove on in silence, bringing this baby boy to his new family, and all the while I was wondering, how is little Charlotte doing?

12 comments:

Erica Feunekes said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! In Bandung we had a tutor for a while and she was forced to give her young daughter to her sister living up the road just because the sister couldn't have children. Everytime the mother talked about it, she cried. Here in Papua, my friend Ritha and her husband were given the illegitimate daughter of her sister-in-law only to have the bio-mom take her back at age 11! Terrible!

Tim and Elly Hutten said...

Thanks for sharing! Here, in canada we are often so sheltered and ignorant of what many people have to deal with. Praying for you and all those mourning the loss of their little ones; may the Lord grant you wisdom, courage and strength in your amazing task.
In Christ,
Tim and Elly Hutten

Allan said...

You're right - that is hard to understnad. Praying for you all, and for all of PNG.
Allan and Alice

carla said...

it must be hard to be so closely connected with the people there and see this going on....we continue to pray for the Light of the Gospel to shine brightly in Lae.

Shiana said...

There are so many things which continue to baffle and confuse in a foreign culture! I am not sure I would have been able to keep my mouth shut either, Nad... and I have done that before (that is, put my thoughts on a matter in the open) only to have the same silent response. I always wondered how they took those moments. Are they just thinking, "those crazy waitskins, with their strange ideas," or are they actually listening and maybe even thinking that things could be done differently? Praying for you always, knowing how hard it is to deal with so many things that go on around you there in Lae. xxx

Natalievdh said...

sorry, that last comment was from me, Nad, just so happened that my dear daughter, Shiana, forgot to log out of her account again without me noticing.... :)

Henk and Christine said...

You are right...how do you get your head around this one?
We continue to pray that those you reach out to may open their hearts to you so you can help them and pray with them by showing them God's way.
Thanks again for sharing.
Henk and Christine

I and N Wildeboer said...

Great to hear from you all! Thanks for your support and prayers--for us and the people of PNG. May the Gospel continue to change lives!
Love
Nadia and Ian

Sara said...

I hope you two write a book some day about your time in PNG. It's a different culture....but we have abortion in Canada which in Quebec a woman can get for free if she has a health card...women coerced at times to get rid of their baby...I wish I understood how people there perceive their children...but even in Canada...is our society better or worse?
Blessings to your family!

I and N Wildeboer said...

@Sara,
Thanks for your comment! How are you, by the way?! You are right, it is still better to give your child to a family member than choose to kill it through abortion. Satan is hard at work attacking the family from all sides in every society. The 'solution' is still the same though--people need the Lord!
Love, Nadia

Sara said...

Hi Nadia,

We are doing well. We are busy getting ready to move back to Ottawa. We bought 4 acres close to Carp (formally know as the Torenvliet residence. We are sad to see them move away and it won't be easy on the boys have their friends move away (first time they go through that) but excited about the changes for them and for us. I am so glad we get to read your blog and share a portion of your life and work in PNG.

I and N Wildeboer said...

Hi again Sara,
Wow, what a time of transition for both your families and for your church. I'm sure you're all sorry to see them go (where are they moving to?). It sounds like a beautiful big property which your boys will just love! May the Lord bless your move---always a lot of work---and may you settle in quickly in your new home. Love Nadia and fam